YouTube is a free video-sharing website that makes it easy to watch online videos. You can even create and upload your own videos to share with others. Originally created in 2005, YouTube is now owned by Google and is considered the 2nd largest search engine in the world.
As of 1/24/2018, there were a reported more than 1.5 billion total number of Active YouTube Users.
YouTube allows users to upload, view, and share videos, and it makes use of Adobe Flash Video and HTML5 technology to display a wide variety of user-generated and corporate media videos. Available content includes video clips, TV clips, music videos, and other content such as video blogging, short original videos, and educational videos.
One reason the platform is so popular is the sheer number of videos you can find. On average, 300 hours of video are uploaded every minute, so there’s always something new to find! And you’ll find all kinds of videos — adorable cats, quirky cooking demos, funny science lessons, quick fashion tips, and a whole lot more.
YouTube Engagement Numbers are “HUGE” and they’re growing exponentially.
- 1.57 billion – Monthly Active Users
- 5 billion – Number of Videos Shared to Date
- 5o billion – Number of Users Creating Content Shared to Date
- 5 billion – Number of Videos watched per day
Another reason the 2nd largest Search Engine is so popular: It’s all about user-generated content. Instead of videos from major TV networks and movie studios, you’ll find amazing and creative videos made by people just like you. You can jump in, record and share your own videos, and become a part of the community.
- 62% of users are Males.
- 80% of users come from outside of the U.S.
- 9% of small businesses are on YouTube.
- 35+ and 55+ age groups are the fastest growing demographic.
- 75% of adults turn to YouTube for nostalgia rather than tutorials or current events.
- Millennials prefer YouTube two to one over traditional television.
- 37% of the coveted 18 – 34 demographic are binge-watching.
- Services 88 countries in 76 languages (or 95% of all internet users).
- Males are primarily watching soccer or strategy games.
- Females are primarily watching beauty videos.
- 50 million people are actively creating content.
YouTube’s 2017 Year in Review – Over 200 Million Views