Content marketing is a strategic marketing approach focused on creating and distributing valuable, relevant, and consistent content. Its purpose is to attract and retain a clearly-defined audience and, ultimately, to drive profitable customer action; That’s according to the Content Marketing Institute.
Content marketing is the Art of Communicating with your customers and prospects without selling.
It is non-interruption marketing. Instead of pitching products or services, one must focus one delivering information that makes the buyer more intelligent. Content marketing’s purpose is to attract and retain customers by consistently creating and curating relevant and valuable content with the intention of changing or enhancing consumer behavior. It is an ongoing process that is best integrated into an overall marketing strategy, and it focuses on owning media, not renting it.
The essence of a content strategy is the belief if as a business, deliver consistent, ongoing, valuable information to buyers, they ultimately reward the company with their business and loyalty.
Content marketing strategy is being used by some of the greatest marketing organizations in the world: Microsoft, Cisco Systems, and John Deere. It’s also developed and executed by small businesses and one-person shops around the globe…because it works!
Most of the incoming content that we receive from companies that are trying to “sell” us something, we often view as junk or consider spam. When we receive something we feel is valuable content, we are more inclined to stop, read, think, and maybe even behave. That fact that creative content can motivate behavior makes it that much more intriguing.
Quality content is part of all forms of marketing:
- Social Media Marketing: Content marketing strategy comes before your social media strategy.
- SEO: Search engines reward businesses that publish quality, consistent, content.
- PR: Successful PR strategies address issues readers care about, not their business.
- PPC: For PPC to work, you need great content behind it.
- Inbound Marketing: Content is key to driving inbound traffic and leads.
- Content Strategy: Content Marketing is part of most Digital Marketing Strategies.